Using illicit substance abuse badly affects the physical and mental health of an individual. In this article, let's take a look at why people get into this habit and what are the warning signs of substance abuse.
People under the influence of illicit substances exhibit certain warning signs. They are:
• Change in physical appearance: You can find people abusing substances not groomed as they should be. There is strange smell from clothes, body, and breath. The eyes are reddened and pupils are enlarged.
• Change in social behavior: People taking illicit substances tend to stay away from their usual company - classmates, friends, and their family. They do not show interest in social or group gatherings.
They feel awkward to mix up with people who are non-drug users. They try to avoid normal people and demand more privacy.
• Fall in performance: They won't take part in extra-curricular activities. Same is the case with working personnel. Whether it is a student, or an employee, performance falls drastically because of less ability to concentrate on their routine things.
• Rebelliousness: They do not go by the rules of workplace, educational institute, etc. They are aggressive, short tempered, and pick quarrels with people around.
• Low motivation: Substance abusers have low motivation and are not enthusiastic. They do not focus on their studies or job, and feel less energetic for doing any activity.
Parents, employers, and educational institutions need to take immediate action by getting the person medically examined and seeking further course of action to stop the use of substance abuse.