Are you confused about how to find the best counselor for you?
If so, you're in the right place... so read my letter that follows...
I’m Dr. Mike Shery. Finding a counselor can be confusing and frustrating…answering machines, insurance, credentials that look like alphabet soup etc.…
Of course, quality is an over-used word but,how SHOULD people select and find a counselor, psychologist, or psychiatrist?
1. My first suggestion, find a counselor or psychiatrist who demonstrates concern for your peace of mind... not only in therapy...but also where fees are concerned!
2. My next suggestion, find a counselor or psychiatrist who doesn’t rush. Some doctors seem to push you out the door before you barely get in!
Your therapist should ask questions that turn on a light bulb in your mind...that “Ah Haa!” feeling. We take time to ask important questions and provide advice other therapists don't even consider. Questions about… do you stay...or leave? Or, how well do you communicate anger… Are you living up to YOUR expectations...?
3. Patience is a paramount quality that one wants when trying to find a psychotherapist, psychiatrist or counselor. The good news is that, in our office, clients often remark that they've never had someone listen to their concerns so thoroughly.
Also, this field changes faster than the nightly news.
4. A therapist must attend advanced trainings or s/he will be out of date...AND… so will your therapy.
Frankly, practitioners often do the minimum because of cuts into relaxation time.
New treatments may appear that better target your needs or achieves your goals more quickly. In our practice you receive the same advanced techniques that are provided at Centegra, Alexian Brothers and other hospitals-with MUCH more personal attention that only a smaller state-of-the-art practice, like ours, can provide.
Also, we participate in advanced education; psychologists cannot stay on top of important changes if they don't. We use the same proven techniques that are used at the Mayo Clinic, Menningers, Johns Hopkins University and The Cleveland Clinic.
These include state-of-the-art techniques like cognitive-behavioral therapy, imaginal conditioning, somatic therapy… and, yes… even the cognitive and reality-based approaches of Dr. Phil McGraw you see on ABC. Each treatment method is skillfully applied to each client, as appropriate, to get the best results in the shortest period of time.
5. When trying to find a counselor, psychiatrist or psychologist look for a demonstration of concern.
Our Peace of Mind Promise is one example of that. Another one is the No Waiting Policy. Personally, I don't like arriving at the appointed time… then being left to wait, feeling ignored.
Some complain that waiting…and excessive paperwork is common practice at the larger commercial centers like Centegra Horizons Behavioral Health or Alexian Brothers Behavioral Health. It's rude; so… unlike other offices, pts are not scheduled so that I get backed-up.
You should never wait more than 10 minutes.
Also, when you call, you will talk with me personally. No interference from receptionists.
6. Look for enthusiasm in giving you an appointment. Run from those who have the "take a number and wait in line" mentality. Under-staffed and impersonal commercial practices are not concerned about you. They will often tell you to wait days or weeks for an appointment...without giving it a second thought! We are concerned and show it: You’ll get an appt with us in just a day or 2.
Appts are also available in the evenings to make it easier on your kids and work schedule.
*We are affiliated with Almost All Insurance Companies...used in this area and work seamlessly with them to take all the billing headaches off your shoulders. We do all the paperwork for you; after all, you already have things to worry about. You just make your small copay at each visit. Your insurance company takes care of the rest, so... you'll NEVER receive a bill from us! Also, since most insurance directories are out of date, talk with me personally to determine if we accept your plan. ODDS ARE…we do!
Our office is conveniently located next to the Cary post office at 2615 Three Oaks Rd.
Here is a summary of the benefits to you:
The same advanced techniques that are used at The Mayo Clinic, Johns Hopkins and other distinguished institutions
FREE informative handouts
No receptionist interference
Most appointments within a day or 2.
All paperwork done for you
Evening and day appointments
“No Waiting Policy.”
Our exclusive "Peace of Mind Promise"
Cary, IL: Counseling Specialists-How to Find the Right Counselor-the FIRST Time